Grant Program for Exonerees Application
Welcome to the online Grant Program for Exonerees application.
Please read this important information about the program and how to make sure your application is completed correctly before it is submitted. If you have a Student Portal profile, some of the application information will be prepopulated for you. If you need to create a profile, click the Login above.
If the Governor of the State of Illinois has issued you a pardon on the grounds of innocence of the crime for which you had been imprisoned, or you have received a certificate of innocence from a circuit court, you may be eligible to receive funds from the Grant Program for Exonerees.
This grant provides assistance toward tuition and mandatory fees. In addition, the grant may be used to pay costs associated with obtaining:
Costs paid on or after January 1, 2016, will be considered for reimbursement.
More information about this program, including the latest processing updates, may be found at the Grant Program for Exonerees page of the ISAC website (isac.org).
Program Eligibility Requirements
- Exoneration Requirement ‐ you must:
- have received from the Governor of the State of Illinois a pardon that was issued on the grounds of innocence of the crime for which you had been imprisoned, or have received a certificate of innocence from a circuit court; and
- be an exonerated person who either:
- has not yet received a high school diploma or a high school equivalency certificate and is completing a high school equivalency preparation course through an Illinois Community College Board-approved provider and/or is seeking an Illinois high school equivalency certificate; or
- is enrolled at an Illinois public college or community college in an eligible degree or certificate program.
- Additional Requirements
- You must be a resident of the State of Illinois.
- You must maintain satisfactory academic progress, as determined by your college.
- You must establish satisfactory repayment arrangements if you are in default on any federal student loan.
- You may not be incarcerated during the term(s) for which this grant is being requested.
- You may not accept or receive financial assistance through the Monetary Award Program (MAP) during any regular school year for which you are requesting funds from the Grant Program for Exonerees.
- You must submit a new application each year you wish to be considered for a grant.
- Please note that you do not have to demonstrate financial need to receive this grant.
Use the information below to help gather and organize the documents needed to complete your application.
- All applicants must provide a copy of their certificate of innocence or a pardon on the grounds of innocence.
- If you are seeking reimbursement of costs associated with a high school equivalency preparation course or certificate, or for an official transcript of test scores after completion of the high school equivalency test, you also must provide proof of payment (i.e. a copy of the payment receipt). Costs paid on or after January 1, 2016, will be considered for reimbursement.
- Additional documentation may be required and, if submitted, will not be returned to the applicant.
- The online application process includes the option of uploading and submitting required documentation.
- Acceptable uploaded files must have one of the following file extensions: .pdf, .jpg, .jpeg, .doc, .docx.
- If you are unable or prefer not to submit your documentation electronically, you may instead send it via U.S. mail to ISAC Dept. D, 1755 Lake Cook Road, Deerfield, IL 60015-5209.
Because you will be providing confidential information about yourself while completing this application, be sure to protect your personal data by closing the browser when you are finished. In addition, do not set a bookmark for application pages.