Welcome to the
If you will be the first in your family to earn a college degree, join our network to get support and resources from ISAC, your peers at your college, and colleges across the state! If you are heading to your first year of college this fall, we’ve got events and programs that can give you tools, resources, mentoring, and a great network of connections to make your transition and first year of college a whole lot easier—and successful.
- Connect with a First Generation Scholars Network Mentor
- Find the First Generation Network or Mentoring Program on Your Campus
- Join us for the “Going to College” YouTube Summer Series
- Check out ISAC’s Parent Resources
Our team of recent college graduates is your resource for all your questions and concerns about transitioning to college. We’ve been where you are, had a lot of the same questions, fears, and experiences you might be having. We are here to listen, answer questions, offer suggestions, connect you with the places on your campus that can assist you, and connect you with a network of peers like you.
First Generation Scholars Network Mentors
Many colleges have their own mentoring or first generation student programming.
Search by the name of the college/university to connect with one of their first generation student programs.
Join the Network
Ready to join?
You can join using our online form
Have questions? Email us at ISAC.FirstGen@illinois.gov
Check out ISAC’s “Going to College” Summer YouTube Series
ISACorps Members share their insight and experiences about being a first-time college student. The YouTube videos can be found on ISAC’s playlist. Topics include:
- How to make new friends in college.
- Remembering to take care of you: Self-care for your body, emotions, and mind.
- Money Talk: How to have a good college experience on a budget.
- Student Clubs & Organizations: How do I choose?
- Keeping Sane: Balancing School, Work, and Family.
- Tips for Apartment Hunting.
- Essential items to bring to college!
- Commuting: Perks & Challenges.
- Being away from home for the first time.
Check out ISAC’s Parent Resources
Parents and other family members play a key role in the success of their students in college through their support and encouragement. Check out the list of resources ISAC has compiled specifically for parents to help support their students!